The Toshiba Satellite S855-S5168 is a 15.6″ laptop with a brushed aluminum design. The main highlights of this laptop is the spec to price ratio. It is definitely one of the faster laptops in this price range.
It has an Intel Core i7 quad core CPU clocked at 2.4Ghz. As a result, you get quick boot up times and very snappy performance overall. Toshiba didn’t skimp out on the RAM, either. It has 8GB of RAM. Comparable laptops in this price range more often than not come with 4 or 6GB of RAM.
There is also a 1TB hard drive which is equally impressive, if not more. This is great for those who handle a lot of large files and need plenty of storage space.
This laptop was not really designed with portability in mind. With the larger screen size, you are sacrificing some of the easy of portability. Also, there is a numpad that also adds on to the size. This is of course a trade off as some people require a numpad.
- HDMI output
- 2 USB 3.0 ports
“I’m not a techie, but an experienced user; no benchmark results here.”
- Has a numpad which is a plus for those who do numebr entry.
- Attractive 15.6″ display – Glossy screen that is very bright
- Very fast
- Quick start up times (under 1 minute).
- Lid does not catch when closing the lid.
- Sensitive trackpad
- Build quality is subpar
“In spite of what reads as a slightly negative review, I’d buy the machine again. The value provided by the combination of processor speed, RAM, hard drive and price are tough to beat. Both the machine and the operating system occasionally feel like sand in my shorts, but for the price I can live with it.”
- Processor:2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-3630QM quad-core processor (3.4 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology; 6 MB L3 cache)
- Graphics Card:Mobile Intel® HD graphics
- Hard Drive:1 TB SATA hard drive (5400 RPM)
- Memory: 8 GB of installed DDR3 RAM (1600 MHz; 16 GB maximum)
- Screen Size: 15.6″
- OS: Windows 8
- Color:Ice Blue Brushed Aluminum
- Resolution:1366 x 768 pixels
- Battery: 6-cell battery
- Dimensions and Weight: 14.96 x 9.53 x 1.31 inches (WxDxH); 5.5 pounds